Awesome
Create Your Own Logo Darla's Reflections: Private Universe Theory, and Teaching Follow-up

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Private Universe Theory, and Teaching Follow-up


Earth, Moon and Sun Unit Study Guide

What causes the four seasons we experience?
THE TILT OF EARTH ON ITS AXIS 
My answer
The seasons change because of the distance from the earth's surface to the sun in relation to the tilt of the earth as it orbits around the sun.
Okay so I took you around the world to answer it but i did get it right

Explain why we have lunar phases each month?
WE HAVE PHASES BECAUSE THE MOON IS REVOLVING AROUND THE EARTH AND WE SEE DIFFERENT AMOUNTS OF REFLECTED SUNLIGHT
The moon orbits around the earth so the phases of the moon is determined to when the earth is closest to the sun.
I had no idea and was guessing. I remembered seeing a picture in a text book but that's about it for the moon.


 I found the Ideas That Block Learning  interesting. I think we all have some kind of preconceived ideas about different things. The question is ..What do we do when we are confronted with answers that are different from our ideas. Do we keep our ideas until we are forced to explain them to someone else; then learn from our mistakes. I was embarrassed that I didn't know the answer. Now I question...What other things do I think I no that are incorrect?   In my defense, I would have looked it up on the internet If DI had not said we couldn't. I look up every thing on the internet.....sometimes even when I think I have the answer and I just want to make sure.

As far as educators in the US and Globally, I think the new generation of students need extra stimulation in order to learn. Simulations, videos, audios, and social interaction have become an important part of their life, so education should incorporate this media into the curriculum.

1 comment:

  1. So the question is, how do you know what sources to trust? I blindly follow wikipedia and much of what i read in books- but how do i KNOW? This is much trickier when it comes to non-science topics, like why we lost vietnam, or are losing iraq and afghanistan... it's a lot more work to find the truth. But I'm with you on the other things- look it up and learn! Thank God it's easier now than it was back when we had to get a ride to the library and hope they had the books we needed!

    ReplyDelete